Are you looking for the best offset smoker that will allow you to make the most savory smoked meats on your own? One that's worth every dollar you plan to spend on it?
If you are, then you've found the only article you'll ever need to read!
I spent twelve-plus years perfecting my craft, sharing secret recipes, and testing a whole host of smokers and grills and have come across many brands that claim to be the best. But they are often far from it! So to save you from the hassle searching then having to return a bad product that will ultimately let you down, I've compiled this list of the best offset smokers to buy right now!
With any of the options that I've included, you can be 100% confident that it will be of the highest standard available.
Here they are:
8 Best Offset Smoker
- Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker Grill
- Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet Offset Smoker
- Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
- Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro Offset Barrel Smoker
- Royal Gourmet CC1830S BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker
- Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Smoker
- Char-Broil 30"
- Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker
I'll cover each of these smokers in detail and the exact reasons you should consider getting each one. So, let's jump into the reviews:
Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D Review - Best Offset Smoker Under 300
The first product on the list and one that I have owned for more than a year now is the Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D Widebody Vertical offset smoker. This smoker is fantastic and worth every dollar spent to buy it. So, if you need a cheap offset smoker under 300, then this model is the number top vertical offset smoker option to consider.
9 reasons TO buy the Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D:
- Dyna Glo has been around in the market for years and has released numerous smokers and grills which are widely loved.
- The Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D is a heavy-duty offset smoker that features a powder-coated steel build and will serve you for years.
- It is one of the few products that have received high praise and mostly 5-star rating by expert reviewers and smoking enthusiasts.
- This model features a vertical offset design that saves you a tonne of space and offers more room to smoke a lot of food at the same time.
- It comes with a large internal cooking area of 1,890 square inches broken up into six adjustable height shelves that can be added or removed to place larger cuts of meat.
- The Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D offers better heat retention than most other options at this price point, thanks to the high-quality door seals pre-installed in this model.
- This vertical smoker also features a porcelain enameled charcoal chamber that is perfect at keeping charcoal properly stacked and allows for a more efficient burn of the charcoal briquettes.
- It has a built-in temp gauge with a smoke zone indicator that makes it easy to gauge how things are smoking, plus there is also a steel smokestack flue at the top of the main chamber that lets you easily adjust the temperature.
- The Dyna Glo is straightforward to assemble and won't require any help or hours to set up.
What I don't like:
The only reason not to buy this one might be due to the vertical design. Vertical smokers are known to cook the food at the bottom faster than a horizontal smoker. We've compared vertical smokers vs horizontal smokers and found that this is true in 90% of smokers. However, this problem is hardly noticeable with this Dyna Glo offset smoker thanks to the offset design and the heat distribution offered with its wide-body design.
Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D is highly recommended, and you won't regret buying it as long as you weigh the reasons to buy and the reasons not to buy it.
Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet Offset Smoker Review
The second runner up on this list is the Char-Broil American Gourmet. This one is another excellent model that I strongly recommend getting. It is the best cheap offset smoker under 100 at the time of publishing this article and has many reasons to love it. So if you are on a budget, then this is the one to get.
No products found.
Click Image to See More Photos and Price on Amazon
9 Reasons to Buy the Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet
- This Char-Broil offers superb versatility as it is a combination of an offset smoker and Barbeque and charcoal grill.
- It provides high portability that will allow you to easily roll from your garage or storage room to the back of the yard, thanks to the two large wheels and lightweight.
- Char-Broil has been around since 1948 and has implemented the best practices in building sturdy heavy duty smokers, and the Charbroil American Gourmet is no exception.
- It has a temperature gauge that's easy to read and reasonably accurate, hard to find on models at this price point.
- It even includes a vertical pipe smokestack and adjustable dampers. Moreover, thanks to the offset firebox, you can manage the heat inside the smoke chamber without losing heat.
- This Char-Broil American Gourmet is one of the few smokers below 100 with a heavy-duty build that features porcelain-coated cooking grates.
- The Char-Broil 12201570-A1 has a total cooking surface of 430 sq. inches that makes for ample space to cook for a large family.
- The cooking space is split between the main chamber that measures 23.75 inches in width by 11.5 inches in depth for an ample space of 290 sq. inches.
- It also allows you to grill inside the firebox that provides an additional 140 sq. inches of space that adds to the 290 sq. inches of the main chamber.
This offset BBQ smoker is the best entry-level smoker under 100 to buy right now. You would be hard-pressed to find another option with similar specs and quality at this price. As such, I highly recommend going for this one if you just got into smoking your own food. The Char-Broil American Gourmet will be perfectly adequate for your needs and budget.
Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker Review - Best Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
Whenever you think about the offset smokers, you can't ever exclude the extremely popular Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. This model is highly versatile and gives high end offset smokers a run for their money thanks to its impressive reverse flow technology. So, if you want an all-rounded product that is heavy duty and will allow you to make perfect smokey flavored food, then the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn is a great option.
12 Reasons to Buy Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Reverse Flow
- Oklahoma Joe's has been a classic since 1987 and is one of the few brands that you will always find high recommendations on supporting.
- They only offer the highest quality heavy duty smokers that are built to last many years on end.
- It addresses the inadequate smoking and cooking issues other offsets are known for having.
- It introduces reverse flow smoking technology that effectively forces the smoke to make a double or triple pass over the meat.
- Oklahoma Joe's reverse flow technology ensures more evenly smoked meat than others provide.
- It offers great versatility to use as a traditional offset smoker or a reverse flow smoker by including multiple smokestack locations.
- Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn offers four pre-installed baffle plates that help deliver heat and smoke evenly throughout the cooking chamber.
- The Longhorn is a heavy-duty smoker built entirely of steel and weighs a whopping 226 pounds, but it also has steel wheels for excellent portability.
- It offers a huge cooking space of 1060 sq. inches that is split into two parts. With 760 sq inches for the main cooking space and 309 sq. inches for the firebox, offset the main chamber.
- Features high-quality front and bottom shelves that are durable.
- The front shelf is correctly placed and runs the entire smoking area's full width and is excellent for putting utensils that you are using.
- The Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn smoker comes with a firebox warming area that you can use to warm up food or keep food warm while you are still smoking.
- It also includes a lid-mounted temperature gauge that I found to be very accurate in monitoring the smoker's heat.
- Large handles that remain cool no matter how hot inside becomes.
I own this reverse flow smoker and have never regretted deciding to get it. There is one minor issue of heat being released due to it not being sealed correctly, but I quickly sealed it myself. Apart from that, there aren't any other downsides to the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. So if the best offset smoker under 500 is what you need, then definitely consider this one!
Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro Offset Barrel Smoker Review
If you want a traditional charcoal offset smoker grill, then the Char-Griller E1224 is an excellent choice. This grill has all the basic features of a great smoker, and more so I just had to include it on the list. Moreover, if you were looking for the best offset smokers under 500, then looking at the Char-Griller E1224 is a must.
8 Reasons to Buy the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro
- It offers a sturdy build quality that is made from heavy-gauge steel that's powder-coated for improved durability.
- It offers 830 sq. in of cooking space that should be sufficient to prepare foods for a fairly large family. The space provided by the Char-Griller E1224 is split with 580 sq in for the main cooking area and 250 sq. inches for the side firebox.
- The Char-Griller E1224 can be used as a grill and a smoker convenient for anyone that wants to not only smoke their food.
- It is portable and easy to move around thanks to two heavy-duty wheels on one end of the body.
- Includes a removable ash pan that allows you to dump the ashes without the need to tip the entire unit over after you are through smoking.
- It has an adjustable fire grate and heat gage that lets you move it up and down to control the heat needed entirely.
- With this offset grill and smoker, you also get a built-in temperature gauge that allows you to monitor the heat inside on the fly.
- You get a one-year warranty that will cover material and craftsmanship issues.
The Char-Griller Smokepro is an excellent option to consider buying as it ticks all the most important boxes. However, it does have some things that make it lose a few points, such as the assembly process and the bad sealing. The good news is that with just a little more effort and some BBQ silicone, you can easily overlook those issues. So, between this one and the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, you won't find any offset smokers better under 500.
Royal Gourmet CC1830S Review
The Royal Gourmet CC1830S is another of the greats where smokers are concerned. It is highly versatile and features tonnes of features that make it more than worth the price. Buying this product, you will never feel like you wasted your money as it is one of the best-offset grill and smoker under 300 dollars at the time of publishing this article. So here are the reasons that you should consider the Royal Gourmet CC1830S.
7 Reasons to Buy Royal Gourmet CC1830S
- It is compact enough to fit just about anywhere you need to put it.
- It offers the capability to smoke and grill meats at the same time, so instead of needing two separate products, you can just get this.
- The Royal Gourmet CC1830S has porcelain-coated cooking grates that will last longer and provide more even heating.
- It offers a decent cooking space of 800 sq. inches in total, split with 438 sq. in for the main smoking chamber and 183 sq. inches for the side firebox.
- This smoker and grill also include a swing-away rack that measures 179 sq. inches.
- Portability is also excellent as it features two heavy-duty plastic wheels that allow you to transport it wherever you need easily.
- It even has a smokestack and a good temperature gauge that's easy to read.
This smoker is well balanced in features and performance. Moreover, it has gotten excellent reviews from customers as a well put together smoker that's worth the price. However, I had a few issues with the build quality, as I felt it was very easy to bend in some places like the front utensil surface. Plus, it didn't completely trap heat inside due to inadequate sealing.
Still, for the price that it is being sold for, I think it's a good bargain and offers enough features and performance to back it up. So, if you overlook the flaws, then getting this one might be a good deal for you.
Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Smoker
When it comes to offset vertical smokers, there aren't that many that make you look at them twice. However, the Dyna Glo Signature series has proven to be the exception. This model is a beauty! Moreover, it's an excellent smoking performer worthy of being ranked on the top of this list. Sadly, there are a few things that took some points away and pushed it further down the list. But it is still one to consider!
9 Reasons to buy the Dyna Glo Signature Series.
- The overall look and finish is impressive and makes for a great talking piece when you invite family and friends over.
- It is a heavy-duty vertical offset charcoal smoker with reliable components overall, such as chrome-plated steel grates, sausage hooks, and a heavy gauge steel body.
- The Dyna Glo Signature Series offers a substantial total cooking space of 1,382 sq. inches, which is one of the largest horizontal cooking spaces you will find on an offset smoker under 300!
- Unlike other horizontal offset smokers, the Dyna Glo Signature series has better-styled cool-touch handles with plenty of room to access inside safely.
- It can be used as a smoker or grill.
- It features a high-quality analog temperature gauge with clear markers that show when the heat is in the Smoking, Grilling, and Barbeque zone.
- The vertical design with removable racks makes it perfect for smoking large pieces of meat.
- This unit leaks less heat and smoke than most of the other options on the list. However, it may still need a touch of silicone in some areas.
- Its build quality is very high end for the price.
I love the Dyna Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker and would trade in my other smoker right away if not for the fact that I already bought it. This model has everything you will ever need and is a complete beauty in the backyard. Moreover, with its already low price, high-end build quality, and superior performance, I can't think of any reason not to love it.
Char-Broil 30" Offset Smoker
The Char-Broil, 30-inch offset, is a pretty basic smoker that you can find anywhere. However, with this one, you get the reliability of a reliable brand that's been around for a long time. Plus, it has a price to feature ratio that's hard to beat. So let's jump into them:
6 Reasons to buy the Char-Broil
- It offers a decent cooking space of 605 sq. inches. Although this space is smaller than some of the other options, it is still enough to cook a sizeable meal.
- It features porcelain-coated grates that make for easy cleaning and are resistant to rusting.
- You get three charcoal grates, which means it can be used as a charcoal grill to make at least 16 burgers.
- It has a lower storage rack and eight-inch wheels that make it highly portable to go from the storage area to your backyard.
- You get a one-year warranty that covers the entire unit.
- Temperature control is excellent thanks to the adjustable air dampers on the side of the firebox and top damper. Plus, it does include a temperature gauge built into the lid.
- You get a reasonably large side shelf that can be used as a storage or prepping space.
Getting this one isn't a bad idea if you don't need a very large offset smoker or have limited space. It is one of the better options out there for just under 200 at the time of publishing. And has everything you could need a good smoker to include. Moreover, with the majority of reviews from experts and regular smoking lovers being positive, I think this one is also one to consider.
Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker Review
If it's a high-end offset smoker you are after, then this Broil King 958050 might be just perfect! Its features and quality is all premium grade quality that you'd only find on a commercial-grade offset smoker. But the price is only a fraction of what you would generally pay for a top of the line model.
Reasons to Buy the Broil King 958050
- This smoker is sturdier than some of the other models listed as it features a 2mm steel build.
- It offers 625 sq. inches of space in the primary cooking area and double as a charcoal grill and smoker.
- This grill features an entirely black powder-coated finish with heavy-duty stainless-steel handles that make it one of the best-looking smokers on the list.
- It comes with reversible cast irons grids that make it easy to get perfect grill lines.
- The Broil King 958050 has very high-quality air dampers that'll let you precisely control the smoker's temperature.
- It has removable ashtrays that make cleaning up after a meal a breeze.
- Portability is excellent thanks to two 8-inch wheels that should be enough to move the unit over any surface.
- Moreover, it has two leveling feet at the other end to stabilize it.
- As a bonus, the Broil King 958050 even has a bottle opener on the side.
- It has a large, sturdy front shelf to be used as a prepping space with hooks on the side to hold utensils.
- You also get a built-in temperature gauge on the main smoke chamber.
The Broil King 958050 strikes a good balance between the extremely expensive charcoal offset smokers and affordable but high-end smokers that would cost more than $1000. It offers all the necessities and even exceeds some high-end offset smokers. To top it off, it is relatively easy to assemble and comes with an extended warranty period depending on where you buy it. Overall, this is an option that I highly recommend!
What is an Offset Smoker?
Now that you have an idea of the best offset smokers, I thought it was a good idea to point out a few things you might need to know. The first is what exactly is an offset smoker and why you should buy one.
An offset smoker is a device that lets you slowly smoke meats without the meat being directly exposed to the flame. It features two main parts: the main cooking area and the offset firebox to the side and lower than the main area. In the main cooking area, you can place meat and other foods to be smoked while in the offset firebox; you would burn the fuel, which is charcoal.
Offset smokers are touted as being better than your traditional smoker as it allows the food to be more thoroughly cooked. Plus, in most cases, offset smokers can be used as both a smoker and a grill.
What are the types of Offset Smokers?
There are three main categories or styles that they fall under:
Horizontal Offset Smoker
The horizontal variant is the type most commonly seen and craved for as in most cases, and they produce the best-smoked foods.
Vertical Offset Smokers
Vertical Offsets are the second most popular type. However, most models often fall short and produce badly smoked meats. This is due to the vertical smoke chamber that typically cooks the bottom of the meat better than the top due to the way the smoke flows inside. Thankfully, as the models have improved, this problem has been significantly reduced. Moreover, it isn't an issue for the ones on this list.
Cabinet Offset Smoker
This type is less prevalent or mostly used in commercial-grade smokers. However, these are excellent and often offer larger cooking space than both vertical and horizontal smokers.
Why should you get an offset smoker?
If you want a versatile product that will offer you a large cooking space that doubles as a smoker and grill, then offset smokers are the best. With one, you will likely be able to get better-smoked foods than you would in a regular smoker. Having better quality smoked flavor comes as a result of the flame not being directly below the meat.
Moreover, adding fuel does not interrupt the smoking process and lets the main cooking area maintain a stable temperature.
What to Consider Before Buying an Offset Smoker?
Although it's great to find one that you like the look of, there are some other essential factors to consider first.
Weather plays a vital role in your ability to grill and where you grill. Every minor detail adds up and can affect the quality of your smoked meat. So paying particular attention to the weather in your area is essential before getting a smoker. If the weather where you live is terrible you might want to consider getting a masterbuilt electric smoker.
Knowing where you plan to put your smoker is essential in selecting the right one. If you live in an apartment or have a tiny yard with little room to maneuver, getting an offset might be a bad idea as most of them are large. Plus, you wouldn't want to inconvenience your neighbors by smoking food in a tight space.
Things To Consider When Looking At Offset Smokers
While this list already checks all the boxes in the main things to consider, I'll share my own experience with you so you can easily find other alternatives.
The first and most crucial aspect to consider is the build quality. People are often quick to buy a smoker built with cheap metals and then complain of the quality. As such, I always recommend only looking at heavy-duty smoker models that feature heavy gauge steel construction.
Knowing the number of persons, you plan to cook for most times is key in choosing the right product. If you only plan to cook for 4 or 5 persons getting one that's 400 sq. inches is just fine. However, if you plan to host regular backyard events, you might need one that offers 600+ sq. inches of space.
Also, do remember that offset smokers offer both the ability to grill and smoke foods.
Another critical part of choosing the right product is by looking at how much you can control airflow, leakage, and if it comes with a temperature gauge. The airflow plays an integral part in the ability to produce heat inside the smoker and, as a result, impacts the quality of the food. As such, it's essential to look for a model with great air flows and dampers that allow you to control the air inside.
You also always want to go for a model that features a built-in temperature gauge.
Knowing what you are paying for and if it's worth the price is always something to consider when buying anything. However, pay attention to where you buy one as you can often fall into scams if you don't buy from trusted retailers. So always stick to either the official manufacturer websites or shopping sites like Amazon, eBay, Home Depot, etc.
Bottom Line - My Top Recommendation
Of all the options listed in this post, my top recommendations for the best offset smoker falls on either the Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D or the signature series if you want a vertical offset. My top recommendation for horizontal offset options is either the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Reverse Flow or the Broil King. With that said, all the options listed are the very best smokers out there to buy right now.
They have all the basic features of the top-rated models and are all from the most well-known and trusted brands. So whichever you end up going with, you can feel confident that it should be a high-quality product.
Frequently Asked Questions About Offset Smokers:
When you search for the best offset or vertical offset smoker, you will possibly be asking some of the questions below. So here are the best answers.
Which Is The Best Traditional Offset Smoker?
When you are looking for the best traditional offset smokers, you are looking for a nice and large vertical or a barrel type smoker. These smokers have a large top hatch and a decent-sized flatbed grate in the main cooking chamber and a large side firebox chamber.
After years of smoking meat and using a variety of amazing smokers, the Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro takes the crown.
Which Is The Best Small Offset Smoker?
If you are looking for the best compact design, then I have two great smokers in mind. First is the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D.
This little beauty is an excellent portable firebox and a very reliable small offset smoker. It is easy to use and great for a backyard or camping. The second one is the Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker. This is the best small smoker on wheels. It is easy to move around, and every beginner to intermediate smoker loves it! It is Char-Broil, after all!
Which Is the Best Offset On A Budget?
If you are on the budget, I would go for a cheaper smoker with a good name.
Once again, like in the previous section, my pick for the best on a budget is the Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker.
Which Is the Best Vertical Offset Smoker?
Are you smoking regularly and for a large family, or are you a sporadic smoker with a small crowd to feed?
Either way, you cannot go wrong with a Dyna Glo Smoker for both. To be more specific, go with a Dyna Glo Smoker DGO1176BDC-D for a small family, or a Dyna Glo DGO1890DC D Wide Body Vertical Offset for a large family. Alternatively, step up to the Signature series if you want the best of both worlds.
Which Is Better Char-Griller Competition Pro Vs Oklahoma Joe?
Personally, when choosing between Char-Griller Competition Pro vs Oklahoma Joe, there is no competition here for me.
Although the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn combo has a much larger cooking area, the Char Griller's quality and durability overtake the rival by far. Char Griller vs Oklahoma Joe? I bet on Char-Griller every time!