What is the best wood for smoking meat? What type of wood is best for smoking meat? Does the size of the wood matters when it comes to smoking?
So many questions, but worry no more! Your trusted wood smoking friend Gerry is here to help you out with finding the right wood for the job!
Choosing the best wood for smoking meat can be a challenge! However, once you learn about the different types of wood for smoking meat, you will find those great few choices that will suit your personal tastes in no time.
Let me take you through the list of my favorite picks and the best smoking meat wood there is on the market today!
Best Wood For Smoking
Here is my list of top wood for smoking choices in an easy to follow comparison chart. Check out the two special best selling wood for smoking! These are my absolute favorites when it comes to smoking flavor!
- SMOKING OAK WOOD CHIPS: 180 cubic inches of smoking oak wood chips that are perfect for charcoal,...
- BARREL AGED CHIPS: Made from real Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Brand whiskey barrels
- UNIQUE FLAVOR PROFILE: Designed to emit a mouth-watering combo of whiskey and oak wood smoke
- PAIRS WELL WITH MANY FOODS: Excellent option when making ribs, wings, whole chicken, beef sirloin,...
- Maple BBQ Smoking Chips for a charcoal, gas, or electric grill. See description for cooking...
- Maple wood heat treated to eliminate and prevent pests, mold, or rot.
- 180 cubic Inches of large sized Maple BBQ Smoking Chips per package.
- Use to make a variety of maple smoked meat. Delicious with Beef Sirloin or Filets, Salmon or Trout,...
- Smoking Wood Chunks - Works with gas grills, charcoal grills, and smoker boxes.
- Barbecue Smoking Chunks - Made of 100% natural raw timber that is precision cut and kiln dried.
- Hickory Smoker Wood - Ignited quickly and com-busts completely to create a delicate smoky flavor.
- Hickory Wood Smoking Chips pairs well with poultry, beef, pork, game, and cheeses
- Wood Smoker Chips best used with outdoor smokers, smoker box, smoker pouch, and gas grills
- Coarse grade barbecue smoking wood chips produce smoke quickly
- Premium Smoking Chips: 100 Percent Natural, Kiln Dried, and Made in the USA
- Mesquite Wood Creates a Full Flavored Delicate Smoky Flavor
- Contains most popular flavors- Apple, Mesquite, Hickory, and Cherry
- 180 in cu of chips in each bag
- Works with electric and gas grills
- Great way to try new flavors or convenietly replenish your favorites
Best Wood Smoking Reviews
Check out my favorite smoking wood in more detail here:
Adler Wood Chips
Best things about Adler wood chips:
- Very mild with a subtle fruity and slightly sweet flavor
- Great for intermixing with other fruit smoking wood chips for custom flavor
- Best to use with fish such as salmon and chicken
- Great for smoking pork and vegetables as well
Apple Wood Chips
Best things about Apple wood chips:
- Best Selling wood for smoking
- My No.1 pick for best wood for smoking
- Very mild and delicate smoking
- Slight hint of sweetness
- Best for smoking pork, chicken, and lamb
- Great for smoking venison, seafood, and vegetables
Cherry Wood Chunks
Best things about Cherry wood chunks:
- Runner-up to the apple wood chips in popularity
- Slightly fruity smoke flavor and very mild
- A bit punchier in flavor to the apple one
- Great for intermixing for custom smoke
- Best for smoking pork, beef, chicken, and venison
- Great for smoking lamb
Hickory Wood Chunks
Best things about Hickory wood chunks:
- The chunks burn quite hot
- Strongly flavored smoke
- Best for smoking beef and venison
- Great for smoking pork, chicken, and cheese
Maple Smoking Chips
Best things about Maple smoking chips:
- Talk about delicious here!
- Slightly mellow smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness
- Best for smoking pork and chicken
- Great for smoking cheese, vegetables, and seafood
Mesquite Smoking Chips
Best things about Mesquite smoking chips:
- The strongest smoke flavor of all the wood on this list
- Produces lots of smoke
- Great for grilling meat
- Best for smoking pork and beef
- Not suitable for any other food!
Mulberry Smoking Chips
Best things about Mulberry smoking chips:
- Mild flavored smoke
- Slightly stronger in berry flavor
- Great for intermixing with apple wood chips
- Best for smoking pork, chicken, lamb, and venison
- Great for smoking seafood
Oak Smoking Chips
Best things about Oak smoking chips:
- Very mild and natural in flavor
- Slightly mellow smoke flavor
- Great for side or entree dishes
- Best for smoking pork, beef, chicken, and lamb
- Great for smoking venison and seafood
Orange Smoking Chips
Best things about Orange smoking chips:
- Very mild and sweet flavor
- Citrus fruity smoke flavor
- Best for smoking seafood and vegetables
- Not the best for meat smoking
Peach Smoking Chips
Best things about Peach smoking chips:
- Distinct peach smoke flavor
- Mild hint of sweetness
- Great to intermix with Hickory and Oak
- Best for smoking pork, beef, chicken, and venison
Pecan Smoking Chips
Best things about Pecan smoking chips:
- Strong pecan smoke flavor
- Smokier and slightly sweeter to other nutty wood chips
- Great for faster smoking
- Best for smoking pork, beef, and chicken
My personal recommendation is, of course, the apple, oak and peach wood chips! These are the best sellers and top rated wood for smoking choices available!
Now that you know which are the best types of wood for smoking meat, it is time to get some great recipes too. Look into the smoked beef jerky, smoked roast beef and of course, check out the best meat smoking blogs around for ideas as well! There are tonnes of info out there, like best meats to smoke and more!
Tip: If you are a beginner to the wood smoking adventure and are looking for the best smoker as well, then you must check my post about the best offset smoker grill options here!